1. Tell, within a dozen, how many books P. G. Wodehouse wrote. Shoot, make it within thirty…
Nearly a hundred, if I recall correctly.
2. Name the song playing on the radio when Duke’s Samoan attorney threw the grapefruit into the bathtub.
I don't remember this particular incident, but it's clearly a reference to Uncle's stint as the U.S. Ambassador to American Samoa, back in the early days of Doonesbury.
3. Fill in the blank, “I love the smell of _____________ in the morning.”
"napalm." Apocalypse Now, a move I watched but didn't particularly enjoy.
4. Tell what machine Toad fell in love with after being thrown from his caravan.
A motor car; though I know this from Walt Disney rather than Kenneth Grahame.
5. Name the Who’s original drummer.
Keith Moon, of course.
6. Describe the procedure for trapping a heffalump.
Dig a pit and put a pot of honey at the bottom.
7. Name the Black Panther Party member who went from exile in Cuba to preaching at Wheaton Bible Church before designing and selling codpiece-equipped pants.
Nope, I'm not quite that old.
8. Name the artist who played harmonica on Keith Green’s 1980 “So You Wanna Go Back to Egypt” LP.
I'm going to guess that it was Bob Dylan. It's the right era, and who else plays harmonica?
9. Tell who said, “The policeman isn’t there to create disorder. The policeman is there to preserve disorder.”
10. Name the movie: “Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.”
Dr. Strangelove. I'm not old enough to know this answer either.
11. Name the Beatle with the bare feet.
The walrus is Paul.
12. Name the now-dead newspaper columnist who often quoted his friend Slats Grobnik.
13. Tell what color and model car O.J. Simpson was being driven down the Santa Monica freeway in.
A white Bronco.
14. Name the Chicago Bears defensive tackle who scored a touchdown in Super Bowl XX.
The Super Bowl...is that something to do with football?
15. Finish the sentence from "Cool Hand Luke": “What we have here is a failure to _____________ .”
"Communicate". Not that I've ever seen the movie.
16. Name the movie this line comes from: “It's just a flesh wound! Come back and I'll bite your kneecaps off!”
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Have you seen the Lego version of the "Camelot" song?
17. Name the song that ends with the drummer shouting, “I’ve got blisters on my fingers!”
It's a Beatles song, but I don't remember which one. And are you sure it was the drummer? It doesn't sound like him.
18. Name the lead guitarist on the Beatles’ “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.”
George Harrison. Paul played bass, and John Lennon usually played rhythm guitar in any case.
19. Name the Tom Wolfe book originally serialized in Rolling Stone magazine.
Bonfire of the Vanities. I think.
20. Name the television series modeled on the work of a New Yorker cartoonist.
The Addams Family, of course. I loved the show, and I've got a book of the cartoons.
I make that 14/20, if my guesses were correct.Posted by Will Duquette at September 25, 2005 08:13 AM